Thursday, January 29, 2009

BEING GOOD TO OUR ELDERLY

Last night our neighbors were heading out to our local nursing home and invited us to go along. Their church ministers to the community on Wed night and they picked this nursing home to go visit with the men and women there. My first thought was (it's cold, it's a school night, it's...) and as I looked at my children's faces they were filled with please, please please looks, and I said OKAY.

Much to my delayed response, I am so glad we went. I have been to nursing homes in the past but for more organized activites. This was quite different, it was a small place maybe 20 men and women, and we just gathered. We talked. They were so happy to see the children, my children and the neighbor 's kids. The highlight of the evening was when the "girlies" did a dance skit. Oh how they enjoyed putting on a show! The men and women really enjoyed the company of children. It was really nice to take some time out of our life and give of our time. Even our 20 month old son was a hit with this crowd, he had them laughing, literally.

My husband and I have been talking for some time now about volunteering our time as a family to better serve others. This was a great way to start. The children were sensitive to the elderly and they enjoyed sharing the details of their day with them. I think this is a great start to a new habit our family will share.

No comments:

Post a Comment