Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SAVING MONEY ON ESSENTIALS

Over the last few months I have been "cutting back" even on essentials in preparation for our foreclosure. When I say "cutting back", I mean I am making a lot of things homemade and of course asking myself if an item is necessary or not.

Now I think this is a good idea, even if your not facing foreclosure. I am just choosing to save as much extra money as I possibly can. I have been researching "homemade items", for instance I no longer buy products to clean our floors, I use vinegar and water, equal parts which actually keeps the floor looking really good and clean. Peroxide is another favorite of mine, as you can mix it with baking soda for your own teeth whitening solution.

Of course the most savings I see is in our food bill. When you make homemade items and get rid of convenience foods, you save lots, and after all I have lots of time.

My next quest is laundry detergent, as I seem to be spending a lot on that. I have read a few sites on homemade detergent and it is something I am researching at the moment. I figure if
I make my own and it works, then I'm just buying liquid Downy for fabric softener, something I can't live without:)

If anyone knows of a good "homemade laundry recipe" please let me know. I'm also curious of cost per month in savings. Thanks.

UPDATE: I have checked out the Duggar family website and found an even easier recipe for homemade laundy detergent, here it is

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

Those are the ingredients, for specific instructions go to www.duggarfamily.com

3 comments:

  1. I have been making my own laundry soap for about 5 months, and I am happy with it. This is the recipe I use

    http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Aimee, I have checked the Duggar site out before,so I will go back and look for homemade laundry detergent.

    ReplyDelete