Thursday, April 30, 2009

FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT- SELF CONTROL

So this post will be the last in the Fruit Of The Spirit series, it has been fun to have something to think about almost daily. I love being reminded of the fruits of the spirit, it seems so simple and childlike. All of them are qualities I want to have and be remembered by and also teach my children as well.

Self Control- and yet another difficult one for me. For me Proverbs is a book of the bible that I refer back to time and time again.

How many times do you want to nag at your children or your husband, to pick up after themselves or get something or other done? Self control of the tongue is a hard one, but a necessary one that is so important.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.Proverbs 15:1

Attitude and tone of voice is something we are working on in our family right now. From the occasional sassing back to straight out bickering and harsh tones. We are trying to teach the kids the importance of gentle answers and just the way you speak to another human being. When I get overwhelmed in the resources I have of information, I tend to go right back to the basics and read through Proverbs, everything seems again so simple, so full of wise advice.

My husband went through a time years ago when negative thoughts would become the norm for his day. He started wearing a rubberband around his wrist and every time he would think of something negative he would snap it, OUCH. At first it seemed funny to me, but after watching him conquer a problem in his life, and watching him do it diligently I was impressed. Im sure you could work this excercise in any area of your life that you need help with...problems with tone of voice, negative thoughts etc..you could fill in the blank.


It has been great to see him work diligently in his bible reading and watch his faith unfold. Naturally gaining self control just happens and it is a blessing to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment