Monday, June 8, 2009

DON'T CONSULT YOUR GREED

Be content with who you are,and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time.1 Peter 5:6


As I continue to read The Cure For The Common Life by Max Lucado, I really reflect on what is happening in my life at the present time and am really enjoying this book. I wanted to share a story from a chapter about greed and how to avoid the need for greed in your life. ( I am retelling a story in this book)

There was a popcorn peddler that sold popcorn until noon each day, and a highly successful businessman bought a bag of popcorn daily and noticed the peddler closing so early in the day. The businessman asked why he was closing so early? The popcorn peddler responded with "so I can go home and sip tea and sit on the porch with my wife". The businessman replied you still have at least 6 more hours to sell and make more money! The popcorn peddler said "I've made enough money for today".

I love that story. It is where I see my husband and I growing closer to each and every day. See our lifestyle years ago was work to pay for MORE and work MORE to pay for MORE. Well you see MORE for most people is never enough.

I love the thought of living way under your means and making a living and enjoying your simple life that you do not have to work until 8:00pm at night to afford.

I have seen the many changes my husband has made in his business, no credit, cash only, less overhead. The results have been awesome. His hours are less he is home more and there is less stress. Chasing after success is not appealing anymore. Living a humble, simple God centered life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment